If you loved sugary iced Pop Tarts as a kid, then you'll enjoy this healthier version of your beloved pastry! Using fresh, LOW FODMAP ingredients these Pop Tarts are easier on your digestion yet packed full of sweet berry and salty nut butter flavor.
The star of the show is Just Plain Nutty Almond Butter, which is our super squeaky clean version of our signature drizzly almond butter. Made with just premium roasted almonds we source directly from the farm and pink sea salt, this high quality, all natural almond butter is the perfect compliment to the tangy berry filling!
Almond Butter & Jelly Pop Tarts
Makes: 6 pop tarts
Pop Tart Pastry
- 2 cups low FODMAP plain flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 95g cold butter
- ¼-1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
- Splash water
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 3 tbsp American Dream Nut Butter Just Plain Nutty Almond Butter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup icing sugar
- splash low FODMAP milk
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and add caster sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes and add them into the bowl with the flour.
- Using a rubbing motion with your thumb, index and middle fingers, rub the butter into the flour until there are no large lumps and the mixture takes on a wet sand-like texture.
- Turn the mixture onto a floured surface and add the cold water a tablespoon at a time, gathering and kneading the dough together until it is smooth and stays together.
- Shape the mixture into a ball, wrap it and place it in the fridge to chill for 40 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling. In a saucepan over a low heat, combine the berries, water, sugar and corn flour until thickened and the berries have broken down.
- Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Take the dough out of the fridge, and preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray.
- Cut the dough in half, and on a floured surface, roll it out with a rolling pin until it is around 5mm thick.
- Cut the dough into 10cm x 7cm rectangles (you should get 12 altogether using both halves of the dough).
- Lay 6 of the rectangles out on the baking tray, and top with around 1.5 tbsp of American Dream Nut Butter Just Plain Nutty Almond Butter and 1 tbsp of the berry mixture.
- Lay the other 6 rectangles on top of the berry mixture to make the tops. Use a fork to seal the pop tarts on all sides.
Original recipe created for American Dream Nut Butter via Lindsay Fordham, That LoFo Life.